Finally REVEALED! The 4 EASY Steps to Spiking a VolleyballMar 23, 2023
The Four Step Approach: The Key to Success for Spiking a Volleyball
Beach volleyball is a dynamic and exciting sport that requires skill, strategy, and athleticism. One of the most important skills that every player needs to master is the four step approach. In this blog, we will explore the four-step approach in beach volleyball, and how it can help you improve your game and dominate on the sand.
- What is the Four Step Approach in Beach Volleyball
- Why is Footwork So Important?
- How the Complete Player Program Can Perfect Your Footwork in Volleyball
What is the Four Step Approach in Beach Volleyball?
The four step approach is a fundamental technique that every beach volleyball player must learn. It is a sequence of four steps that a player takes before hitting the ball. Mastering this technique will have you jumping higher and hitting harder.
The four steps are:
The Timing Step (First Step)
This is the slowest step and happens right when the setter is touching the ball. This step will help set up your rhythm based on what set is produced.
The Momentum and Directional Step (Second Step)
This step is slightly faster than the first step which leads you into your fastest step of the step close. This is used to get your feet to the ball. Beach volleyball can have unpredictable elements such as wind. This step helps you adjust if the ball gets pushed by the wind or if the set goes outside of the intended call.
The Step Close (Third and Fourth Step)
This step in the beach volleyball footwork should be close to the directional step as it will transfer all the forward momentum into the ground and give you the ability to jump straight up.
The four step approach helps players generate power and momentum for their hit, allowing them to hit the ball harder and more accurately.
Watch the video below as Brandon Joyner walk you through the perfect footwork in volleyball from our Attacking Course in the Complete Player Program.
Why is Footwork in Volleyball So Important?
Footwork in volleyball is crucial because it is the foundation of every play. Proper footwork helps players move quickly and efficiently around the court, making it easier to set up for a hit, block, or dig. Good footwork also helps players maintain balance and stability, which is essential for hitting the ball with power and accuracy. Approach footwork for spiking and timing are essential. You want to make sure that you are taking a slow first step that leads into a slightly faster, larger second step and then really getting a nice aggressive last two steps while reaching quickly into the bow-and-arrow position for hitting a volleyball.
Using a four step approach will produce better results with consistency.
There are a few checkpoints to pay attention to while reviewing your videos.
- The first checkpoint is the small first step which needs to be small and not extended. This small step leads into the next checkpoint while taking the second step.
- You need to pay attention to how your body is positioned. Are your shoulders in front of your toe before you take off or are you leaning back and pulling yourself with your hamstring? This is a vital piece of the puzzle. You need to drive forward with momentum. Check to see where your hands and arms are during this phase. They need to be hanging naturally in front of your body, like your hands resting on a shopping cart.
- The next cue is in between your next step and your step close, your arms need to hit max height BEHIND you. You want to remember that the more you accelerate, the lower to the ground you get. So, on the last few steps you are driving INTO the ground, and you should have that squat position to be able to drive momentum.
- A common mistake seen is dropping the head and watching the ground when driving the arms behind you. This will cause loss of momentum and height on the jump. Remember to get low with your HIPS but keep the chest upright and allow the arms to be the pendulum that they revolve around.
How the Complete Player Program Can Help You Perfect Your Footwork in Volleyball
If you want to become a beach volleyball champion, you need to have excellent footwork. The Complete Player Program can help you achieve this goal by providing you with the tools and techniques you need to perfect your footwork.
Our program includes comprehensive training materials, drills, and exercises that are designed to help you improve your footwork, and every other aspect of your game. With our help, you can develop the skills and knowledge you need to dominate on the sand and become a true beach volleyball champion.
Mastering the four-step approach in beach volleyball is essential if you want to become a successful player. With the right training, practice, and dedication, you can improve your footwork, technique, and strategy to become a true champion. The Complete Player Program can help you achieve your goals by providing you with the guidance and support you need to succeed. Start your journey today and become a beach volleyball superstar!
Fix the holes in your game!
- Maximize your strengths!
- Make noticeable progress every week!
- Learn the game anywhere, anytime with or without a partner!
We'll guide you through a proven path to rapidly improve every aspect of your game.