15 questions on the rules of beach volleyball.
Click the button below to start.
Question 1 of 15
1) Is it legal to hand set the ball over the net?
Yes, if it comes out clean and the player was attempting to set their partner
Yes, if it comes out clean and the player’s shoulders are square to the direction of the set
Both b and c are correct
Question 2 of 15
2) When is receiving an attack with your fingers legal?
Only when you send the ball back over to the other side on the first contact
When the attack is hard-driven and the defensive play is a "reaction" OR the play is a clean set with no double contact or throw
Only if the player is setting their partner for an option attack
Question 3 of 15
3) When is it legal for a player to hand set in serve receive?
This is illegal
Only if your hands are touching
Only if it is windy
It is always legal if it comes out clean
Question 4 of 15
4) If a player is standing at the net and their opponent hits the ball into the net causing the net to touch the original player, is this considered a net violation?
No, when the ball is driven into the net causing it to touch the player, no fault is committed
Depends on the speed of the ball
Yes, but only if the first player is blocking
Question 5 of 15
5) If the ball comes off of your opponent’s block, can you contact the ball overhead with two closed hands, double hammer fist style?
Only if you are still landing from your jump
Yes, if it is part of one continuous motion
Question 6 of 15
6)If an attacker goes up to attack the ball but the blocker pushes or pulls the attacker’s hand onto the top of the net, what is the call?
Net violation on the blocker
Interference on the blocker
Net violation on the attacker
Interference on the attacker
Question 7 of 15
7) If I pass the ball so that it goes outside of the antenna and on the other side of the net, can my partner legally pass the ball back to our side to complete the play?
Only if the player jumps over the net to get to the ball
Yes, only if the ball crosses the net on the outside of the antenna on the way back to the original side
Question 8 of 15
8) Can the server let their toss hit the ground if they are not happy with it?
Yes, if they call it while it is in the air
Only for a jump serve
No, it counts as a missed serve
Question 9 of 15
9)Can the server land inside the court after hitting a jump serve?
Only on a topspin serve
Jump serves aren’t allowed in beach volleyball
Question 10 of 15
10)If a player digs an attack or plays any first touch with their platform and the ball proceeds to hit them in the face in the same motion, what is the call?
This is legal. ANY first touch can hit two consecutive body parts provided the play is not made with finger action
The play is over
Question 11 of 15
11) Does a blocking contact count as one of the three legal contacts?
Yes, a blocking contact is counted as a team hit
Yes, only if the blocking player passes the ball after the block contact
Yes, only if the other player passes the ball after the block contact
No, the team still has three contacts left
Question 12 of 15
12) Can a player pass a ball off of their own block contact?
No, the blocker cannot touch the ball twice
Yes, the first hit after the block may be executed by any player
Yes, only if they pass the ball back to the opposing team
Question 13 of 15
13) Can both players touch the ball at the same time?
Yes, but it is counted as two hits
No, this is illegal
Only if it was done inadvertently
Question 14 of 15
14) Can the ball be passed into the net during a play, then recovered?
No, the play is over
Yes, but only if it was unintentional
Question 15 of 15
15) If a player shanks a ball out of bounds on their own side of the court, can their partner still play it?
No, the pass has to stay in the court
Yes, the ball may be retrieved from beyond the court in the free zone
Only if the pass is really high
Yes, only if the previous hit from the opponent was hard-driven